(Washington) Martine Moïse, widow of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse, who was murdered in her own home by an armed commando in early July, bluntly described the attack and voiced her suspicions in an interview published Friday with the New York Times.
Posted on Jul 30, 2021 at 9:20 pm
“The only thing I saw before they killed him were their boots,” the man who suffered an injured arm and had to be flown to Florida for treatment told the American daily.
Read the New York Times interview
Awakened by gunfire on the night of July 7, the First Lady of Haiti explains that she hid her two children in a bathroom before laying down on the floor on her husband’s advice.
“I think you are safe there,” he told her his last words.
First hit by a gust, she said she was lying down. “At that point I felt like I was choking on the blood in my mouth and couldn’t breathe,” she says.
The members of the command then search the room, she tells the New York Times. She overhears them talking to each other and someone on the phone in Spanish. “They looked for something in the room and found it,” she says.
The widow Moïse confides her suspicions in the American daily newspaper. “I don’t understand why no one was hit by bullets,” she says of the security forces who are supposed to protect her husband.
After the first shots, he called those responsible for his security, she said. “I had Dimitri Hérard, I had Jean Laguel Civil,” he said after hanging up. “And they told me they would come. ”
The two men, the head of the National Palace’s General Security Unit and the President’s security coordinator, have since been arrested in connection with the investigation.
According to Martine Moïse, the people currently named in this survey are only executors. “Only the oligarchs and the system could kill him,” she says.
She gave the New York Times a name: that of an influential businessman who recently entered politics, Réginald Boulos. She refrains from accusing him of ordering the assassination attempt, but believes that he got something out of it, the newspaper explains.
Together with the American daily, Mr Boulos opposed vehement denials and indicated that he would support an independent international investigation.
Haitian police have arrested around 20 Colombian mercenaries so far and claim to have exposed an attack organized by a group of Haitians with overseas connections, but many gray areas remain.