“No evidence” of the presence of the WHO in Côte d’Ivoire –

Last month, the Ivorian health authorities announced a case of the Ebola virus originating in Guinea. More than two weeks later, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued a statement saying that there was “no evidence” of the presence of the virus in the country. The WHO made its announcement following new analyzes by the Pasteur Institute in Lyon, carried out on samples from a young Guinean woman who the Ivorian authorities had reported as infected after arriving in Abidjan.

“With the new results from the laboratory in Lyon, the WHO assumes that the patient did not suffer from the Ebola virus disease and that further analyzes are ongoing to determine the cause of her disease,” said the WHO in a press release. Since Abidjan announced the discovery of the case on August 14, “more than 140 contact persons have been identified in the two countries,” according to the WHO. But the UN agency said “no other person has shown symptoms of the disease or tested positive for Ebola”.

WHO downgrades its interventions in Côte d’Ivoire

Thus, the WHO “is now downgrading its interventions in Côte d’Ivoire from the response level to that of an alert state”. After Abidjan announced the case from Guinea, health officials received 5,000 doses of Ebola vaccine for a target group vaccination campaign launched on August 17. Guinea had questioned the diagnosis of Côte d’Ivoire and required new analyzes, which led to the WHO’s current conclusion.

View comments

Related Articles

Back to top button